What does it take to build a business website?
Thats always a great question, it depends. There are alot of factors that go into creating a online presence for a company. We at Univelocity usually start with a discovery meeting. This is where we ask the questions like the following
- Are you going to be selling your goods or services online?
- Are you looking to gain new customers or support existing customer?
- Do you have a existing website and if so who built it?
- What are you looking to accomplish with your investment online?
- How much of the process do you want to be in charge of on a daily basis?
- Who is going to manage your site once it is live?
- What kind of marketing program do you plan on implementing when you launch?
I also try to explain a website and having a web presence simply and clearly with a few phrases like
- You know its not Noah’s Ark its not build it and they will come you will need to market your website (God was running the Noah’s Ark marketing campaign by the way)
- Building a online presence is like growing a garden. We give you the seeds and soil but someone has to water and tend to the plants and they will grow.
At our level of web design it typically comes down to man hours. We have enough experience coding small to medium size projects that we typically can estimate how much time a project is going to take and base our quotes on that process. If you are a small business with minimal to no budget for a web presence we always suggest you use a build it yourself website and get the ball rolling until you have resources to have a website uniquely branded for your business.
We also strongly believe that having a business website that is successful online encompases not only professional coding, but also a great art team and on going online marketing program.
Here is a link to a great articular that explains the differnt groups of designers in the market place and a worth the 5 minute read.
Hope this helped and good luck with you web venture.
The Univelocity Web Development Team